Building for the Future: 2022 Annual Report
“Keep your eyes on the stars; keep
your feet on the ground.”
– President Theodore Roosevelt
As an avid gardener, I love perusing seed catalogs in the snowy winter months with dreams of giant tomatoes and pumpkins the next season. Teddy Roosevelt’s quote reminds me to dream big, but focus on the groundwork (which, in a garden, literally means composting and prepping the soil)!
Laying a solid foundation is just as important when building a home. Even in sunny Kansas, the winds will blow, and the storms will rage; yet a solid foundation ensures a stable home.
Kansas Housing has been similarly laying the groundwork with an eye to the stars:
- It started 20 years ago when KHRC became a public corporation, administering solid programs. Kansas Housing laid the foundation.
- Through natural disasters in Greensburg and Southeast Kansas, economic headwinds of the Great Recession, and lean budget years, providing resources and building partnerships, Kansas Housing laid the foundation.
- With the pandemic’s devastating impact on Kansas’ renters, homeowners, and housing providers, through the administration of emergency housing assistance, Kansas Housing laid the foundation.
- Working closely with housing partners and community stakeholders, KHRC facilitated and released the first statewide housing needs assessment in nearly 30 years. Kansas Housing laid the foundation.
- Taking the important message to the Statehouse alongside advocates and stakeholders, culminating in a historic state investment in housing development resources, Kansas Housing laid the foundation.
The foundation is solid, but the work has only begun! Still our eyes are on the stars. In this Annual Report, you will:
- Learn about KHRC’s vital work keeping Kansans in their homes through the Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance Program and Kansas Homeowner Assistance Fund.
- Read about KHRC’s efforts rolling out the new state housing development resources.
- Stay engaged with ongoing traditional programs and resources.
- Hear about the lives Kansas Housing is touching in communities around Kansas.
-Ryan Vincent Executive Director
Kansas Housing Resources Corporation (KHRC) helps Kansans access the quality, affordable housing they need and the dignity they deserve. KHRC serves as the state’s housing finance agency (HFA), administering essential housing and community programs to serve Kansans.