Community Housing Development Organizations
CHDOs are Special Nonprofits.
A Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO) is a private nonprofit, community-based, service organization that has, or intends to obtain, staff with the capacity to develop affordable housing for the community it serves.
To qualify as a CHDO, a nonprofit must demonstrate that it meets certain requirements regarding its:
• Legal and tax-exempt status
• Financial management capacity and accountability
• Staff capacity to carry out HOME-funded activities
• Experience serving the community
• Board representation by community members, with at least one-third of its members low-income
• Lack of for-profit or public control