Tenant Based Rental Assistance

Case Study

One Dodge City grandmother has raised her four grandchildren since their mother passed away. When her husband died, the family lost their only wage earner and was forced to rely on the grandmother’s disability payment as their sole source of income. Their rental payment consumed much of the monthly disability checks and the family soon faced eviction. KHRC partner Harvest America enrolled the family in the Tenant-Based Rental Assistance program. Program funds provide crucial stability for the family, who no longer have to struggle to cover the cost of stable, secure housing. The children were able to remain together with their grandmother and stay enrolled in their local school, where they are thriving. Harvest America is working to connect the family with additional support services and long-term housing assistance.

Read more

Program Description

Tenant Based Rental Assistance is a program designed to help income-eligible households with rent, security deposit, and/or utility deposits.

Audience Served

 Income-eligible households looking for rental assistance.  Applications are accepted through our funded agencies listed below.

Funding Source

Federal HOME funds

Staff Contact

Shyla Rockett
Tenant Based Rental Assistance
Program Manager

GranteeCounties / Cities ServedContact
Bert NashCity of Lawrence and Douglas CountyRental Assistance and Security and Utility Deposits
Gallal Obeid: 785-842-8110
Compass Behavioral Health Ford and Finney Counties Rental Assistance Security Deposit and Utility Deposits
Carla Caraveo: 620-227-5040
City of Ellsworth Ellsworth CountyRental Assistance, Security and Utility Deposits
Deanne Hoch: 785-472-3348
Harvest America Barber, Barton, Cheyenne, Clark, Comanche, Decatur, Edwards, Ellis, Finney, Ford, Gove, Grant, Graham, Gray, Greeley, Hamilton, Haskell, Hodgeman, Kearny, Kiowa, Lane, Logan, Meade, Morton, Ness, Norton, Pawnee, Phillips, Pratt, Rawlins, Rooks, Rush, Scott, Seward, Sheridan, Sherman, Stafford, Stanton, Stevens, Thomas, Trego, Wallace, and Wichita Counties Rental Assistance, Security and Utility Deposits
Terri Bookless: 913-342-2121
IndependenceCity of IndependenceRental Assistance
April Nutt or Molly Wright: 620-332-2536
McPherson Housing CoalitionMcPherson CountyRental Assistance, Security and Utility Deposits
Karolyn Moore: 620-241-7828 x17
Mental Health Association of SC KSSedgwick County Rental Assistance, Security and Utility Deposits
Megan Bruce: 316-685-1821
Northeast Kansas Community Action Program, Inc. Atchison, Brown, Doniphan, Jackson, Jefferson, Marshall, and Nemaha Counties Rental Assistance, Security and Utility Deposits
Kristy Morey: 785-742-2222, ext. 156
Northwest Kansas Housing, Inc. Cheyenne, Decatur, Gove, Graham, Logan, Norton, Osborne, Phillips, Rawlins, Rooks, Russell, Sheridan, Sherman, Smith, Thomas, Trego, and Wallace Counties, City of Ellis Rental Assistance, Security and Utility Deposits
Ruth Deines: 785-421-2151
Pittsburg Public Housing Authority City of Pittsburg Security Deposits
Megan Keener: 620-232-1210
Prairie View, Inc. Harvey, Marion, and McPherson Counties Rental Assistance
Megan Thompson: 316-284-6400
Riley County Public Housing Authority Chase, Clay, Cloud, Dickinson, Ellsworth, Geary, Jewell, Lincoln, Lyon, Marion, Mitchell, Morris, Ottawa, Pottawatomie, Republic, Riley, Saline, and Wabaunsee Counties Security and Utility Deposits
Julie Govert Walter: 785-776-9294
Southeast Kansas Community Action Program Allen, Bourbon, Chautauqua, Cherokee, Crawford, Elk, Labette, Linn, Montgomery, Neosho, Wilson, Woodson Counties Rental Assistance Security Deposit and Utility Deposits
Craig Leabo: 620-724-8204, ext. 1004
Kim Wilson Housing Wyandotte County Rental Assistance
Shevella Gatson: 913-288-4211

Submit Revision

You are not permitted to submit this form!

Income Guidelines

Household Size Maximum Income for Weatherization (200% of FPL)
1  $   25,760
2  $  34,840
3  $  43,920
4  $   53,000
5  $  62,080
6  $  71,160
7  $  80,240
8  $  89,320

contact us

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Skip to content